The Butchers Arms - History
The Sheepscombe valley was once part of a Royal Deer Park for King Henry VIII. The pub dates from around 1670. Its name comes from the practice in those early days of hanging the carcasses of deer killed on the hunt in what is now the bar. The left hand end of the current building was the original alehouse and over the years this was extended into the two adjacent cottages. Thankfully many of the old features such as massive fireplaces, thick stone walls and mullioned windows have been preserved.
Our Famous Inn Sign
The Butchers Arms has an unlikely national claim to fame. Our carved sign of a butcher sipping a pint of beer with a pig tied to his leg is probably the best known and photographed pub sign in the country and is featured in many publications on the subject. We asked artist Barnaby Catt-Morrison to draw the famous sign for us and the resultant woodcut-style illustration now features on our menus as well as on our website.(Photo by Johnny Johnson)
The famous author Laurie Lee, author of "Cider with Rosie" lived in the nearby village of Slad and, until his death in 1997, he was a regular visitor to The Butchers Arms.